Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Overpopulation

A couple of months ago now I read Dan Brown's Inferno. I highly recommend it. It's thrilling, exciting and even better makes you think. About a rather terrifying subject.

Without giving too much away, one of the characters in the story is extremely concerned with overpopulation and the effects it has on the planet. We are past the earth's sustainability. We are running out of resources.

The character then says something rather controversial and says the black plague was in fact a very good thing. Population numbers were booming and the sickness culled the numbers. The scariest part of that exchange was when I found myself agreeing with the character.

My mother and I were talking about it this evening and at risk of causing I minor explosion of admitted that as much as I am grateful for medicine, it's too good. People live longer and less sickness kills us. It sounds absolutely vile to say but we're loosing humanity's only predator: disease.

It's like in an ecosystem, when the pray has a larger population than the predators, the system suffers and the herbivores devour their resources. The opposite is also not good, but nature requires balance.

I won't give away what happens in the book, but I will say I support the antagonist and his views, for the most part.

Overpopulation is the planet's greatest risk, and it grows exponentially.

Here's a scary image.

So when I hear people against gay marriage worry about replenishing the earth, that scares me even more. The earth is plenty populated. If something is not done there will be nothing left for us, nothing left for the future generations.

I personally don't want kids of my own. If I change my mind, I'm adopting. I just quake at the thought of adding to the population.

No comments:

Post a Comment